By Jon Miller | Post Date: November 13, 2006 2:18 AM | Comments: 7
Like many companies, we make a lot of improvements each month at Gemba. We don't always think to write them down or celebrate them. We will "kaizen the kaizen" by writing them down in an effort to be more mindful about the wonderful kaizen ideas that we all have and implement. In order to celebrate these and stimulate more ideas we will document and post the "kaizen of the month at Gemba" from now on this blog.
This first one is a great office kaizen example, courtesy of Marcie our Office Manager.
Expense Reporting Kaizen
Every Office Manager dreads processing Expense reports and I am no exception. Keeping track of consultants who may be in Mukilteo one day and Mumbai the next is tough enough. Keeping track of their expenses just makes it more challenging. So I made it a goal to try to knock as much waste out of this process as possible. Now my expense reporting is a lot more user friendly for both players – me and the consultants.
The Old Process: Before Kaizen
3. Double check the expense report heading to make sure it was filled out correctly (3-5 minutes).
5. Create a check for the reimbursable charges (3-5 minutes).
6. Create an invoice – list the amount charged for expenses (3-5 minutes).
7. Tape the receipts onto blank pieces of paper (5 Minutes).
9. Obtain approval on the expense report and file expense report (2 minutes).
On a good day this process took me 25 – 45 minutes hands-on time. Some days, especially if I had to return it to the consultant to correct, it could take me up to a week to complete.
The TOTAL LEAD TIME: 40 minutes to a week.
This had some serious drawbacks, employees would not be reimbursed in a timely manner, invoices were not created in a timely manner and my inbox got really full.
After much thought and a little technology, I have an easier method: After Kaizen
1. The consultants obtain an envelope before they go on their trip. They put all their receipts in there; they fill out the header on the envelope. This takes them about 5 minutes total.
4. Create a reimbursable expense report and write a check for employee. Attach report to envelope and close with receipts (1-2 minutes).
5. Create the invoice, attach the NeatReceipts report to that, this has a copy of the receipts, mail or e-mail (1-2 minutes).
6. Obtain Approval and file expense report (1-2 minutes).
Total hands-on time: 14-20 minutes!!
TOTAL NEW LEAD TIME: 14-20 minutes!!
Percentage reduction in hands-on time = 44%
Cost of new technology = $199.95
Best of all, the consultants now have one place to put all receipts – in the envelope.Comments are moderated to filter spam and inappropriate content. There may be a delay before your comment is published.