Free Skill Matrix Template

By Jon Miller | Post Date: July 25, 2007 11:25 PM | Comments: 13

Here is a free skill matrix template in Microsoft Excel format. We receive many requests on this blog and to Gemba Research about the skill matrix template. The skill matrix is a very broadly useful visual management tool for people development.

At Gemba we are using this new format to track the personal development goals for knowledge and skills in the Toyota Production System, project management, assessments, facilitation, simulations, business software, and problem solving charts, as well as others. The Job Instruction method and job breakdown method explained in the Toyota Talent book has helped us take use of the skill matrix at Gemba to a higher level.

We have used squares instead of circles since we do not know how to make circles appear in Microsoft Excel. In our format for consulting skills there are levels 0 through 5 starting with a blank (white) matrix, levels 1 through 4 being blue and the recognized authority or "sensei of sensei" within Gemba on the subject matter or skill receiving a gold (yellow) square for level 5.

Here is a sample of what this skill matrix template looks like.
skill%20matrix%20Gemba.png

This free skill matrix template is easy to edit and easy to fill in. There are no macros and no automated features, you simply enter the values for Name and Skill and color in the matrix section as you like. It is formatted to 11 inches by 17 inches size paper for printing purposes. This accommodates a large number (thirty) of skills and competencies. You can format this sheet smaller or larger to suit your needs.

Hopefully the more prominent positioning and titling of this free skill matrix template will make it easier for people to find, reducing the muda of searching. Other articles we have written about the skill matrix now also include a link to this free skill matrix template.

Questions, comments and requests are always welcome. If you make improvements to this skill matrix template, or if you area an Excel wizard and you can add advanced features to it, please share and we will post them here for everyone.

How do we send you an update to this file?

Poster: Joe | Post Date: July 26, 2007 7:08 AM

I like your kaizen idea of changing the matrix from a circle to a square. If you only knew how much time I spent drawing circles and 1/4 circles in excel as a young engineer at Toyota! Now I wish I had challenged the paradigm that the skill matrix or the project completion matrix had to be shown as a circle. Instead, I just kept looking for a better way to make circles because I was told to make circles.

Poster: Jon Nett | Post Date: July 26, 2007 7:29 AM

Joe - as far as sending updates to the skill matrix template, I'm being advised by our IT that it's a very bad idea to open e-mail attachments from unverified senders.

So perhaps you can e-mail a screen shot of your improvements, or the formula strings and where you added them, etc. until I get a better answer regarding e-mail attachment security.

You can e-mail me at jon dot miller at gemba dot com

Jon - hidden muda everywhere! Even within the work of creating a simple skill matrix template and event at Toyota!

Maybe an engineer at Toyota can use the square version of the skill matrix as their idea of the month for the creative idea suggestion system.

Poster: Jon | Post Date: July 26, 2007 8:36 AM

I am having trouble opening the free template for a skills matrix. Would it be possible to send it to me by email. Thanks

Poster: Kimberly Branson | Post Date: November 25, 2007 5:06 AM

Hi Jon ,
Can you mail some article on skill matrix.

Poster: Anup | Post Date: March 6, 2008 9:48 PM

Hello Anup,

If you use the search function at the top left of this page you can find article son the skill matrix.

Poster: Jon Miller | Post Date: March 7, 2008 6:54 AM

Thanks for this - was actually looking for something a little different but this ticks the boxes for my immediate needs. I think my original wants were a little complicated. We have several teams that all have cross-over skill sets and the teams are set up in such a way that any can perform or deliver on like tasks, with subtle variations on skill levels, experience etc.. (I know, crazy - dont ask). So I was originally looking for almost a database driven matrix whereby "scores" in the skills can be aggregated up, starting at individual level, going up by team, area, department etc. I think (and this was just rattling around my brain) this would allow us to quickly see where we stood across teams and areas etc. while giving us granular level detail to assist come develop needs planning.
If this is something somebody has seen I would be keen to hear from them. Or weather my initial thoughts on this are fraught with danger and this isn't how skills matrix's should be used. Alternatively, it may be a relatively simple development that I might think about launching into myself (time permitting - which suggests never)...
Thanks again though – this is a great start for us as it is something we clearly need and this will get us started.

Poster: Doug | Post Date: December 11, 2008 1:30 AM

Hi, I'm a teacher and want to know if there is anyway I can remove the symbols. I would like to use this matrix to match focus areas and with activities we do in class.

Poster: lynnee | Post Date: July 10, 2010 4:14 AM

Hi Lynnee. I will send you a file you can use.

Poster: Jon | Post Date: July 12, 2010 5:04 AM

i need more detail about JI/JM please pdf.file /thank you very much

Poster: thanut twn/engineering Dept | Post Date: August 9, 2010 4:46 AM

Thanks so much for this. Could not endure another month of updating ungrouped quarter pie's in Visio. This is an excellent alternative and I have updated my matrix in (ironically) 1/4 of the time it used to take.

Poster: Jason | Post Date: September 6, 2010 4:29 PM

Nice

Poster: Diwakar Tiwari | Post Date: December 26, 2013 6:51 AM

Has anyone tried online skills matrix tools like Skills Base (http://www.skills-base.com) and what did you think?

Poster: Kylie | Post Date: January 8, 2014 3:50 PM
Comments are moderated to filter spam and inappropriate content. There may be a delay before your comment is published.